Monday, June 11, 2012

Ombre Nails



I have an addiction. This addiction is completely harmless and relatively inexpensive compared to other obsessions and addictions. I, Jessica, am addicted to nail polish. I dont know when or why it started, but it happened and my life hasnt been the same since. I catch myself bored at work looking on pinterest and nail polish blogs to see what new colors and techniques people are using. I know, I have a problem. Now you get to witness my addiction in action....ombre nails.

I started out trying to do the ombre nails with the three colors above but I had nothing but trouble. So I decided to try it with just two this time and see if I could get the technique down. The colors I used are Essie Sure Shot and Essie Tour de Finance.

The link that I found on pinterest showed the color fading from no color on the base of your nail to the darkest color on the tip of your nail. I decided to put down a base coat of a light pink color so that the color would (hopefully) fade from light pink to dark pink. You will have to decide if I actually accomplished that or not.



Then you take a small makeup sponge and soak it in water. Squeeze all the water out of the sponge to leave it only slightly damp. I was too impatient and anxious to start this technique so I forgot this very important step. It was a disaster! So please remember to soak your sponge first.

Next take the makeup sponge and paint two (or 3 or 4) lines of paint on to the sponge. Dab the sponge up and down on to a piece of paper (or onto a paper plate like I did) and the colors should start to smudge together. Then paint on some more paint on to the brush and dab it onto your nail up and down and until you get the look you want.

Your fingers will be very messy because the paint just goes everywhere.


Take a qtip and dip it into some nail polish remover (or acetone) and carefully remove the paint from around your nail.



As you can see my nails sort of look bumpy/texturized. I think this is because I let my sponge get too dry. I probably should have soaked it in water after I finished my first hand.

After I applied the top coat it seemed to smooth them out just a bit, not to mention it made them super glossy.


So what do you think, is this something you will have to try too?

No comments:

Post a Comment