Thursday, June 7, 2012

Painted Silverware



In every one's life there comes a time that you do one of the most dreaded things in humanity.... you move!  Recently, like a week ago, I had to move from a two bedroom into a one bedroom apartment.  This was not my choice, but was chosen for me by my roommate deciding that she just had to get married to the man of her dreams. Sigh. I mean who does that, especially when she leaves me behind to fend for myself!! (I am actually super happy for her :))

On to the reason why you are actually here. I was lucky enough to benefit from her wedding presents by getting some of her old stuff. One of those things was a set of mismatched silverware.  The only silverware I had were cutting knives, so beggers cant be choosey.  I would like to see you eat cereal with a chopping knife!

So off to pinterest I went, trying to find a way to make all of my mismatched pieces look like they fit together.  When I came across the idea of painting the silverware, I thought I was witnessing pure genius. http://pinterest.com/search/?q=painted+silverware

This is what we did.  (Oh did I tell you that my sister drove 5 hours just to come help me move? She is awesome!)

I just went to a chain supercenter and purchased some spray paint that works on metal and a package of painters tape.


We wrapped the part that goes into your mouth with the tape and tried to make them all uniform.


Let the spray painting begin!! We noticed that we needed two coats.


These are the finished project! I love them.  I used the satin finish spray paint and love them.

The only downside is that I am too scared to put them in the dishwasher because after handwashing them small amounts of paint have chipped off.  But I choose to think that they look vintage now :)
I would definitely recommend trying this.


No comments:

Post a Comment